DNS Hosting

Jeff Goeke-Smith jeff@goeke.net
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:42:22 -0400

Actually, if your hosting your own DNS, you really have to be carefull.
Assuming that you use BIND (almost everybody does) one needs to stay on top
of the security updates for it.  I know, I found out the hard way.  Last I
checked it ranked right up there at the top of the list of software with
holes in it.  I end up upgrading my bind about every month or so.

<RANT>
Now why such a simple ( or it seems simple to me, but I haven't read much of
the code), critical, and basic service has so many security holes it it, I
don't know.  But, I don't code it, so I guess I shouldn't complain.
</RANT>
--Jeff