make

Dan Nguyen nguyend7@cse.msu.edu
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 01:15:08 -0400

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 12:12:27AM -0400, Daniel R . Kilbourne wrote:
> I need to install a specific app on several different servers, and
> want to automat it as much as possible. Now, the process I go through
> is

This is why packaged systems are really nice.  You just create the
package and install it on every system.

> 1) tar -zxvf file.tar.gz
> 2) ./configure/make/make install
> 3) create an associated .conf file
> 4) killall the old version
> 5) start the new version with the new .conf
>
> does anyone know how I can modify the existing source I have to do
> this in one step, or can at least point me in the right direction?

Don't modify the source.  Make a shell script which assuming all your
servers are layed out the same way.  Can automate everything.

You can have it do steps 1 through 5, just by running one command.
You'll just need to copy the shell script and the tarball.

More info on shell scripts can be found at
http://www.msu.edu/~pfaffben look for his shell programming tutorial.

--
     Dan Nguyen     |  It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
  nguyend7@msu.edu  |  everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.