DNS Hosting

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:03:22 -0400 (EDT)

Actually to clarify that a lil bit. No offense to Paul.

You have two issues:
The first is mapping Yournewname.com to your box to
x.x.x.x This is fairly simple and should work flawlessly with whatever DNS
server your decide to use (free, do it yourself, etc). it maps
Yournewname.com -> x.x.x.x

The other issue is reverse DNS lookup. This starts with x.x.x.x and tries
to find the name of the server. Since @home owns those IP's it will check
their server and find their name. As a result you get assigned the name of
yada.@home.com Only @home can change this.
You can call your server whatever you want to but anytime anyone looks up
your name from your ip number it will be the @home assigned one.
 x.x.x.x -> yada.@home.com

I hope that clarified it a bit.

Sean