Window managers

Leonard G. Warden IV lgwarden@home.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:52:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hey now!

I LOVE C. The qoute in my sig is meant as a compliment, albeit a
backhanded one. I program in C at work. I program in C at home. Hell, I
DREAM in C on occasion. I much prefer the simplicity of C to the
multi-paradigm complexity of C++ (although I have used C++ and undoubtably
will again, if the project needs it). There are many reasons to praise C:

1. If you know C, you know Perl. Okay, maybe not all of Perl, but a great
deal of it. I like to think of Perl as a "high-level C" with sed, awk, and
grep thrown in.

2. C modules are easily integrated into Python. If you like the elegance
of Python but certain parts of your program must be FAST, C modules can be
plugged into Python programs with astounding ease.

3. ANSI/ISO C + POSIX = the closest thing to a portable assembly language
we are likely to see for a long time. If you need source level portability
in your project, this is the only way to go.

There are many other things to like about C, as well as quite a bit to
dislike (check out _Expert_C_Programming:_Deep_C_Secrets_ by Peter van der
Linden), but it is a great language to know if you like to make computers
do your bidding. ;)

JMO, of course.

Chip Warden

--