Napster at MSU?

Zac Cogswell cogswell@msu.edu
Wed, 01 Mar 2000 18:08:14 -0500

At 05:50 PM 3/1/00 -0500, Jeremy Bowers wrote:
>Yeah, that makes sense too.
>
>I'd tended to assume that since Napster users show their bandwidth, MSU
>users would all show as T1+ and all the modem users would tend to gravitate
>here, while MSU users would only download normal quantities of MP3's.
>Meanwhile, real incoming traffic has a hard time getting through.  Still...
>something is amiss and I don't have enough info.
>
>Unfortunately, we can't check.

We could audit the network for Napster ports every couple hours for a few
days and get data on how many people are running napster, and also scan for
DDOS tools :) Not like it would really help the problem that much because
we still don't know how much bandwidth Napster is using, but it would be
neat to know.

Also, over spring break, if it is Napster, the bandwidth should go down,
and if it was DDOS stuff, the bandwidth would remain high because the
clients are mostly on solaris/linux servers (there are win9x clients, but
they're not public)...

Of course this is all just speculation and it could be some people running
ftps, misconfigured hardware, etc..., but I hope it gets fixed soon,
because over the last two weeks, it has got really bad ( I live in Akers).

Zac Cogswell
cogswell@msu.edu