Napster at MSU?

Zac Cogswell cogswell@msu.edu
Wed, 01 Mar 2000 18:58:45 -0500

At 06:51 PM 3/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Zac Cogswell <cogswell@msu.edu> writes:
>
> > No, but you can scan every machine on all of MSU''s subnets for napster's
> > default ports at various points during the day/night for a week - that
> > should give an idea as to how many people run it....
>
>I'd strongly suggest not doing that - scanning all the MSU
>subnets might well (and perhaps rightly) be considered an AUP
>violation.

I don't see how it is against the AUP, although it is in the grey area... I
guess some people could interpret scanning as an attempt to "infiltrate
(e.g., gain access without proper authorization) a computing system or
network, either on the MSU campus or elsewhere." (AUP) but its a weak case.
IMHO, the worst you might do is set off some IDS and get an e-mail from an
admin... although, with the amount of traffic that is on the network, I
doubt anyone would notice/care.