FW: Napster at MSU?

Paul Donahue donahu16@msu.edu
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 01:22:24 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Donahue [mailto:donahu16@msu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2000 12:56 AM
To: 'Zac Cogswell'
Subject: RE: Napster at MSU?

well i'm trying to stay out of this as much as possible, other than
observing and noteing that where I work (VMC) isn't the only place on campus
having network problems. I tend to not point it to napster because that's
just ignorant in some ways. Yes it's a bandwitdh hog, but we're MSU (ISP for
most of central michigan), plus we do such things as backup of entire
servers over the campus network, have Virtual University multicasts etc.
just to name a few of the things. Plus there's IPX data along with a whole
bunch more protocols just floating around through the campus network and
through our routers, so I think to point the finger at just napster is
pretty bad. It might sound like I'm a bit offended, and I can say that I am
in some ways, because admittedly I am a user of napster, but I am
responsible in limiting the number of connections that can connect to me
etc. But I digress...

My point:  DON'T DO PORTSCANS ON THE ENTIRE MSU NETWORK!!!! If you think
that say 100 people running napster (maybe lots more, maybe less) is causing
bandwidth problems, think what would happen if everyone decided to start
portscanning to "help" out Doug and others at network services. Yes I am
very interested in the results, and REALLY want to see them, but if we all
do our own tests we will probably be shot by the people at network services.

My suggestion: Let's let the network services people handle the problem.
Let's be responsible power users and report what we find, however make sure
that we stay out of the way. The last thing we need is a bunch of people who
think they know what's going on mucking about with what they may or may not
know.

DISCLAIMER: Before you all hate me, I share the "hacker spirit" and want to
genuinely help out, however with the nature of the problem I think many good
spirited people doing their probing would cause more harm than good.