Meetings, MSU facilities, and membership

Andrew R Keen keenandr@pilot.msu.edu
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 21:26:24 -0500 (EST)

We've been through this before: basicially, to become a MSU org, only MSU
students can vote and hold office. As a significant portion of GLLUG is
non-student, this is a significant deterrent (see under Registration
Requirements, #4, about what the constitution must provide), and the consensus
is that gllug is going to remain unaffiliated for now.

An idea that might be worth looking into is forming a parallel msulug that
holds joint meetings and activities with GLLUG on campus, while gllug remains
independent in terms of leadership and voting members. A precedence is the ACM
chapter on campus. msuACM is affiliated with ACM, but is a RSO on campus.

I'm NOT in favor of splintering GLLUG, but I think that it would be convenient
to have a twin organization on campus for scheduling MSU facilities and PR
purposes (SN, anyone?).

Aside: Just a few ideas I'm throwing out-- I haven't been able to attend a
meeting (I want to, but class and work conflicts usually.) I have been using
Linux casually since '97.