meeting places

Mark Szidik - Michigan Library Consortium szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:47:01 -0500 (EST)

Mr Coffee,

<rant>
Not to dis you or anything, but organizations of this type need more
than suggestions.  I have read a lot of posts from people who have had
lots of *suggestions*, but nobody every offers to *do* something.  GLLUG
is a loose confederation of individuals.  For anything to happen, it
requires an individual to actually do something.

Almost a year ago I attended my first GLLUG meeting.  It was 4 people in
the chaotic and noisy MSU union.  I was not impressed, but I saw
potential.  I didn't complain, I did something.  I went to my boss and
asked him if we could hold meetings at the MLC office.  I got his
approval and then offered the meeting space to the group.  It didn't
take any convincing to get people to come.  I did all of the work, so it
was easy.  I just said hey lets have the next meeting at MLC.  Whats
that old saying - "if you build it they will come".  I remember counting
17 people at a recent meeting held at MLC... </rant>

I am totally open to seeing GLLUG meet at another location such as MSU
especially if it expands our membership and profile.  I am just saying
that for it to happen someone has to step-up to the the plate
and do the work.  Any volunteers?

Mark Szidik
System Administrator           Ph: 517.694.4242 x17  Fax: 517.694.9303
Michigan Library Consortium    http://www.mlc.lib.mi.us