sql

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 21:05:30 -0500

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 01:42:07AM +0000, Mr Coffee wrote:

   >I should also mention that our UNIX group will be preforming system
   >upgrades tomorrow evening, which will make the mail list unavailable
   >from about 5-10pm.  This is needed to migrate to 2 new storage arrays
   >and add a tape library system

   just so i  know what kinda stuff we have going here im curious to
   know...
   1) whats these serverS? there are more than 1? whos running them
   and what kinda machinery is it?

The Engineering servers are all SUNs running Solaris 2.6.  The 2 major
ones that play a role with linux-user: The mail server is a SUN Ultra
2 with 2 x 167 MHz processors and 2 GB of RAM, the web server (just
upgraded) is a SUN Enterprise 450 with 4 x 400 MHz processors and 2 GB
of RAM.  There are 20 other SUNs, Ultra 1s (or better) that are file,
print, DNS, etc. servers.

We have one production linux server, ftp.egr.msu.edu, that has
archives for GNU software and Debian Linux (also known as
ftp.us.debian.org).  I am also planning on setting up Linux on a SUN
Sparc 20 for NIS+ authentication and file sharing.

   2) what kind of computers are people running linux on at home? is
   it mostly 486 kind of pentiums? or are people running it on
   hardcore dual 500 mhz and lots of ram?

I am running Debian 2.2 on the following system, using
Gnome/Englightenment as the desktop:

* Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop - 466 MHz Celeron w/192 MB RAM
* 300 MHz AMD w/128 MB RAM (work system)
* Toshiba Tecra laptop - 75 MHz Pentium w/16 MB RAM (work system, no
  windows)

We support Linux as desktop OS for Engineering faculty/staff.  Our
most powerful system is a Dual Pentium III 500 MHz w/ 1 GB of RAM.

Dennis Kelly
Network Administrator
College of Engineering
Michigan State University