IMPORTANT: Final Installfest stuff (nagging)

Torgo Jr agarris@voyager.net
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:40:40 -0500

I just got two more RSVP's in my inbox, so I think we will have
a pretty good turnout.  Just a few last minute things here:

* Installfest setup begins at 11:00am.
* For anyone bringing hardware, please mark it (and you should
probably write down on paper what you brought).  I have written
down that Jeff and Roger can bring hardware (like laptops).
Anyone else is welcome to bring whatever hardware as well.
I will also bring an 8-port 10/100 hub for net connection.
* Again, I ask that the more experienced *nix people to try and
be there for as long as possible.  Of course, come and go as
you need to.
* I bought a 100-stack of 8x CD-R's ($70 at Best Buy), and I
will bring these for distro burning for the usual $1 a disc.
* I will also bring several of my own machines (one with a CD-RW),
so just to warn everyone, I will be quite paranoid about my
hardware being "in the open"... :)
* Anyone that has novice-level Linux books, please bring them
(and mark that they are yours).   I will bring some of mine so
we can have a small "library" for people to browse.
* As mentioned previously, I will bring a small mountain of
free hardware (such as 10 Mbs ISA NIC's), all of it is still
untested so far.
* I plan on being there the entire time, and I (and my pickup
truck) will be available to run around town for anything during
the event.  For things like food, we can order out or go to Sams
(besides Narayan, who has a Sam's Club membership that will be
at the Installfest?).  I also fully intend to leave MLC exactly
how we found it, so it would be appreciated if a few others could
stay after we are "closed" for cleanup.
* Mark: Is the digital camera still available?  I would like
to have some pictures of the event.

I still have to write up a disclaimer sheet today (I took
today off work).  I will post what I came up with later,
***or*** can anyone that is comfortable with writing legal-ish
documents give it a shot?

<nag>
Finally, I will state the completely obvious.  For those who
are helping people with Linux at the event, please:
1. Be nice.
2. Be ***PATIENT***.
3. Stick with the advantages of Linux, don't spend all your
   time trashing M$ (as tempting as it is).
4. Always invite people to attend our bi-weekly meetings and
   to join the mailing list.  The next meeting will probably
   be April 2 (location undetermined).
5. Realize that Linux may not quite be for everyone, so don't
   try to convert someone who may not be ready for it (yet).
</nag>

Please email the list if anyone has any more ideas/thoughts about
this.

(egads, just got *another* RSVP.... :)

--
Alan Garrison _ agarris@voyager.net
"I think it's unfair that only one company can make Monopoly."