Installfest

Torgo Jr agarris@voyager.net
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:47:07 -0500

Adam McDougall wrote:

> I'll let someone else get into detail on how the event went but I thought
> it went pretty well.

I thought it went great as well.  I would like to thank everyone who
showed up.  Even though I spend a good chunk of the time either fscking
around with my server or burning distros, I am pleased that the
20 people (our "estimate") attended.

I would also like to thank the people at MLC who let us hold this
event in their office.  Mark:  Please let the "powers that be" there
know that we appreciate this.

> I tossed the idea towards Ben that we might have a
> followup session sometime to help the people who already have linux
> installed, something to help them out with some customization, maybe a
> little bit of configuring, help with package management/upgrading, and
> perhaps customizing kernels.

Good idea.  If we can get MLC, then this could work out great.

> (I dont think anyone actually
> setup networking in the installfest)

Some of us tried...  :)  BTW, since I am actually typing this and
able to send this with a net connection, my "cube" box seems to work
fine (at home).  BTW, for those who missed the URL, you can buy a
cube box like the one I had at www.esc-tech.com.

> Maybe even
> giving direction towards things like ip_masq and samba.

Jeff said he might be able to do a Samba presentation for the next
meeting.  Jeff: If this is feasable, please keep the mailing list
updated.

Perhaps we should try another installfest in, say, 4-6 months?

I will try and have some extra burned CD's with the current distros
at the next meeting (including Slackware 7).  I will also bring some
juicy parts of the free hardware mountain.

--
Alan Garrison _ agarris@voyager.net
"I think it's unfair that only one company can make Monopoly."