LILO

Dan Nguyen nguyend7@cse.msu.edu
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 14:17:33 -0400

On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 02:00:06PM -0400, Marcel Kunath wrote:
> I may point out you also changed your
>
> root=current
>
> to the partition the Linux kernel resides on(/dev/hda8). May it be that it was
> the main factor coming into play?
>
> If it was me I would switch that root and image line for the Linux call in the
> lilo.conf.

That is not an issue.  From the lilo.conf( ) man page:

  root=root-device
     This specifies the device that should be mounted as
     root.  If the special name  current  is  used,  the
     root  device is set to the device on which the root
     file system is currently mounted. If the  root  has
     been  changed  with   -r , the respective device is
     used. If the variable `root' is omitted,  the  root
     device  setting  contained  in  the kernel image is
     used.  (And that is set at compile time  using  the
     ROOT_DEV  variable  in the kernel Makefile, and can
     later be changed with the rdev(8) program.)

'root=current' is the most safe way for a script to figure out what
root should be.  The problem was probably not the 'compact.'  It seems
the 'lba32' command is necessary to have the new lilo to get it to
work past 1024 cylinders.

--
     Dan Nguyen     |  It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
  nguyend7@msu.edu  |  everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.