bad news for cable modems in Lansing (Wrong name given)

mOuSe mouse@ajboggs.com
Mon, 1 May 2000 12:50:09 -0400

Said "Mike Jessica at KC"
Should read "Mike Jussila at KMC"

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-user-admin@egr.msu.edu
[mailto:linux-user-admin@egr.msu.edu]On Behalf Of mOuSe
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 12:36 PM
To: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: RE: bad news for cable modems in Lansing

I work in south Lansing and have found out a lot about the limited technology
here.  Most things are based on the Ameritech POP/switch facility.  This
facility is the oldest in the state and cannot handle ANY digital connections
thru it.  In talking with Ameritech about this, they have a plan to upgrade the
facility in 2002. When using a 56K modem thru the south Lansing switch, one
would be lucky to be able to connect to any ISP at 33.6K.   For anything greater
than a dial up connection, i.e. ISDN, Ameritech has been running a line to the
Mason POP costing subscribers near $140 / mo. for the line cost.  KC Telecom has
recently ran fiber about the city.  They are able to provide analog (56K) and
digital (ISDN, ADS, T+) services.  I am not sure about their service coverage
area.  I know as north as Sheridan Road and south as Jolly/96.  The contact I
have about this is Mike Jessica at KC.  They can offer ISDN at $34 / mo. (I
believe).  The only piece that is missing is the ISP.  Ver is building a POP in
town and will have the ability to be an ISP for all the above mentioned Internet
connection services.  They will be the first in town to be able to offer ADS at
the ISP end.  Verso's POP should be online near the end of this month.  Their
connection will be a dual T-3, one direct to the west side and one direct to the
east side of the state of MI.  I believe they may actually be putting in two T-3
to the east side and 1 T-3 to the west, but this was my initial information,
I'll know more as the POP is brought online.  For those that may be interested,
I am the initial contact for Ver information.

drew flickema