bad news for cable modems in Lansing

Alan Garrison aeg@lbwl.com
Tue, 02 May 2000 08:19:09 -0400

Paul Melson <melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us> 05/02/00 07:25AM

> Can BWL even attempt something like that?  Moreover,
> could it even be a good idea?  I've heard horror
> stories (and seen a few first-hand) about trying
> to get decent upstream network support from a
> company who is really only comfortible with TV.
> I can't imagine an electric & water utility doing
> a better job. (?)

[BIG STINKY DISCLAIMER]:  Although I physically work at
the BWL, I am only a contractor software hacker and of
course I don't speak for the company.  I speak only as
a BWL customer.

My understanding is that the city of Lansing is generally
happy with BWL utility service.  I think that the company
is capable of doing this, the question is "do they want to?"
My feeling is that they wouldn't want to take this on,
just because of the "newness" of the whole thing.  Consider
that the BWL is over 100 years old, and for that time, they
have almost exclusively dealt with electricity (most of the
time), water, and steam.  Just three services, and now
there is the possibility of a fourth.  This would involve
a major overhaul of company internally and externally,
and I don't see any major excitement in the company about
adding a fourth utility.

But don't quote me on that, I could be way off.