k6-2 300 mhz

Alan Garrison aeg@lbwl.com
Thu, 04 May 2000 12:27:49 -0400

Mike Rambo <mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us> 05/04/00 11:59AM
> Alan Garrison wrote:

>> On an Athlon system, going from PC100 to PC133 isn't a huge leap
>> (a bit though).  If you really want to fly, you are going to have...

> Putting in memory
> which is capable of faster operation will not increase the
> machine speed because all reads and writes are still
> accomplished in a set number of clock
> cycles whose speed is determined by the base clock on the motherboard
> (motherboard base speed is predetermined and not affected by other
> devices or modules that are installed).

Sure, that's not quite what I said.  Newer Athlon boards can handle
both 100 and 133 speeds.  Then again, I'm no hardware guru.

If this helps, some info from Anandtech:
*****
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=1142
*****

The method of overclocking that we are most used to, courtesy of the
multiplier locked Intel CPUs that we've had for such a long time, is
accomplished by increasing the FSB frequency.  Since the CPU derives
its clock speed from the FSB frequency (CPU Clock = FSB x Clock
Multiplier), increasing the FSB frequency will increase the CPU clock
speed and thus overclock the CPU.

The major benefit of this method is that the overclocking can generally
be accomplished without even taking the case off of your computer.  Most
motherboards allow for the FSB frequency to be adjusted in the BIOS
setup utility (generally under the Chipset Features/Advanced Chipset
setup or its own special Frequency Setup section) so with a few
keystrokes you can be off and running at your overclocked speed.

The first misconception that must be cleared up is that the Athlon's FSB
actually runs at 100MHz and not at 200MHz.  The EV6 bus transfers on
both the rising and falling edges of the clock (instead of just the
rising) and thus the effective transfer rate over the EV6 bus is equal
to that of a 200MHz FSB, but the actual FSB frequency is 100MHz.

The downside to increasing the FSB frequency, as we briefly mentioned
before, is the fact that most of the components on the motherboard
derive their operating frequencies from the FSB frequency and increasing
the FSB frequency will, in turn, increase their frequencies as well.

For example, the PCI bus operates at either 1/2 1/3, or 1/4 the speed of
the FSB.  The 32-bit PCI bus specification calls for an operating
frequency of 33MHz, and if your FSB is set to 100MHz then, by using the
1/3 divider, the PCI runs at the appropriate 33MHz setting.  Most PCI
devices have no problem running at frequencies up to 37.5MHz, and there
are usually very few problems until you get above a PCI bus frequency of
40MHz.  If you take into account the fact that there is a ¼ PCI divider,
achieving a PCI bus frequency greater than 40MHz would require you to
have an FSB frequency greater than 160MHz.

The AGP bus is designed to run at 66MHz and operates on a fraction of
the FSB frequency.  This fraction is determined by the North Bridge of a
chipset, which in the case of the AMD 750 chipset is the AMD 751 North
Bridge controller.  The 751 only supports the 2/3 and 1/1 AGP clock
dividers, and most AGP cards have a problem working at frequencies above
83MHz.  This means that for most AGP cards, a FSB frequency too far
above 124MHz would be difficult to pull off.

The memory bus on the Athlon is currently designed to run at 100MHz;
however, the tolerance level of the memory bus is normally dependent on
the memory you use.  For example if you use PC133 memory that is rated
for operation at 133MHz, then you should not have any problem if your
memory bus is running at 133MHz.

The Athlon's EV6 system bus is designed to run at speeds of up to
200MHz, and according to those that we have spoken to that have a part
in designing the future EV6 based motherboards, reaching that 200MHz
goal isn't a major problem, it is mainly an issue of implementing it on
the motherboard rather than tweaking the chipset.  So increasing the FSB
frequency shouldn't be limited by the EV6 bus anytime soon, although the
motherboard may be the limiting factor in this case.