Full system tape backup

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Sun, 7 May 2000 20:13:13 -0400

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 05:26:57PM -0400, Benjamin Minshall wrote:
> Does Linux have a utility to do a full system backup similar to
> comercial Unices' mksysb?  For those not familiar with the command,
> mksysb does a backup of everything on the machine including drive
> structures, partition tables and all of the included data.  It records
> this system 'image' to a bootable SCSI tape.  In an extreme server
> faliure, one then only has to pop the tape in and reboot and the system
> will completly rebuild.  Does Linux have a program like this, or is
> there a good way to do such a thing?  Thanks

	I know of a couple of backup utilities that will
	write bootable media.  There's BackupEdge for
	Linux (http://www.microlite.com), but that requires
	building rescue disks along w/ a tape (or whatever),
	so it's not good for unattended daily backups.
	And there's cdbl (http://cdbl.linuxbox.com) which
	creates bootable backup CDs w/ a CD-R or CD-RW.
	Unfortunately, I don't know of anything that
	works like mksysb for Linux.  If you (or anyone)
	comes across something that will do bootable
	tape backups for Linux or FreeBSD, I'd like to
	know.

PaulM

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us