Samba question (with unlikely solution)

Benjamin Minshall bminsh@mudbucket.goeke.net
Mon, 08 May 2000 11:11:01 -0400 (EDT)

You wrote:

> From: "Alan Garrison" <aeg@lbwl.com>
> To: <linux-user@egr.msu.edu>
> Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 10:52:57 -0400
> Subject: Samba question (with unlikely solution)
>

> I have a game under Win98 (SimCity 3000) which requires the
> CD to be in the CD drive to play.  I made an ISO of the
> CD on my server, loop-mounted it, and then shared that out
> via Samba.  I mapped a drive in Win98 to that ISO mount and
> actually installed the game from it.  When I go to run the game,
> however, it still looks for a CD in the CD drive (even though
> it is a different drive letter from the ISO mapped drive).  Is
> there any way to trick Windows in to thinking that the network
> drive map is a CD rom drive?
>
> I'm guessing I can't, but might as well try.

Check out http://www.gamecopyworld.com or http://move.to/gamecopyworld.
I think it's the same site, but I'm not sure.  It has quite a library
of tips, tricks, hacks, and anything else that one might need to make
games run in wacky environments.  Warning: The site design is HORRIBLE
and really slow, but there is some useful info there.  Good Luck.

-Ben