new one?

Alan Garrison agarris@voyager.net
Tue, 16 May 2000 17:38:49 -0400

Marcel Kunath wrote:

> Is it time to start the next reign of federal attack on a company?
>
> This just sounds bad.
>
>     http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/business/business-aol-report.html
>
> We are just lucky the Europeans ain't falling for the American hype as easily
> as AOL wishes.

[From the article]
         Merrill Lynch analyst Henry Blodget said the new
         service would help AOL gather new customers
         cheaply.

         ``Children who use the service in school will want to
         take it home with them,'' he wrote in a report.

The feds won't bother AOL for this specifically, since there
is big federal-level buzz about having the Internet in the
classroom.  Can someone explain to me why this gets so much
damn attention?  Why does a 4th grade classroom need a net
connection?  Perhaps there is more educational stuff out there
than I know of, but it seems that the hype is getting out
of hand.

If AOL really gave a damn about schools, they'd offer to
help patch roofs and put books on the desks of inner city
schools, rather than stick more of their crapware in
middle and upperclass schools.  Oh, this works great for
Microsoft (and maybe Apple), since you have to have one
of those operating systems to run the crapware.

Indoctrinate 'em young.

--
Alan Garrison _ agarris@voyager.net
"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid."  -- Bishop (Aliens)