KLUG Meeting 05-30-2000 - Using LDAP (fwd)

Mark Szidik - Michigan Library Consortium szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Fri, 26 May 2000 08:12:28 -0400 (EDT)

I can't make it to this Kzoo meeting, but LDAP is an interesting
topic.  I thought i'd pass it on in case other are interested.

Mark Szidik
System Administrator           Ph: 517.694.4242 x17  Fax: 517.694.9303
Michigan Library Consortium    http://www.mlc.lib.mi.us

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00 -0400
From: listserv@kalamazoolinux.org
To: klug@kalamazoolinux.org
Subject: Meeting 05-30-2000 - Using LDAP

Directory enabling networks is the next step in the evolution of large
networks, directories allow the centralization of configuration and
security information as well as being key to high availability. LDAP
(Lightweight directory access protocol) is an open standard by which
applications can interact with directories, supported by everything from
M$-Outlook and Active Directory to Novel NDS and the Linux OS. But how
directories work and how to construct one is still a rather mysterious
process, and the documentation is scattered across the Internet.
Tonight's presentation will attempt to dispel some of the mystery and
explain basic directory concepts and introduce OpenLDAP, a GNU LDAP
(directory) server.

Adam is a network administrator based in Grand Rapids, but the network
he deals with is all over Michigan, with a couple of hundred
workstations, running Linux and other Operating Systems. Not only does
he deal with domain issues at work, but he is also the owner of the
domain "whitemice.org". Recently married and ensconced as a KLUG officer
(independent events), Adam has been a regular contributor to technical
discussions on our main mailing list, both presenting and solving some
of the most challenging networking and configuration problems.

-       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -

Coming to three meetings qualifies you as a full member of KLUG, meaning that
you can participate in the process of making formal decisions, including vot-
ing for officers.

Our meeting place, THIS TUESDAY at 7 PM is:

Dunbar Hall, room 4202, on the campus of Western Michigan University.

Maps and directions can be found at
http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/meetings/maps.html

All are welcome.

The KLUG web site is: