Hard Drive Problem

Matt Fuerst fuerstma@msu.edu
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:41:44 -0500

Greetings,

Hopefully you can help me. I have set up my Linux box and have it running
great. Pentium Pro machine, RedHat 6.2, all SCSI. I formatted the / drive
obviously when I installed it and I am pretty sure I chose to search for bad
blocks, but I installed several times in a short period so I may not have on
the last attempt.
gunzip: cs_beta71.tar.gz: Input/output error
Anyways, I am downloading two very large files (70+ megs) that are tarred and
gzipped. I keep getting IO Errors when I try to gunzip either file, despite the
fact that I know the contents are valid (they are not downloaded incorrectly
nor are they bad .gz files). Just out of curiosity, I did a:

cp mybigfile.tar.gz temp.tar.gz

and it too generated an IO Error, so I am thinking that there is a bad block or
something on the hard drive that I need to map out.

The non-descriptive errors right from my console:

[fuerstma@cable fuerstma]$ gunzip cs_beta71.tar.gz

gunzip: cs_beta71.tar.gz: Input/output error
[fuerstma@cable fuerstma]$ cp cs_beta71.tar.gz blah.tar.gz
cp: cs_beta71.tar.gz: Input/output error

please help me! How can I map out this "bad" portion of my hard drive so I can
use the whole thing. I have 700+ megs free so it's not a disk space issue.

Thanks!

Matt Fuerst