background process

GATal@aol.com GATal@aol.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:10:04 EST

Hey group,
    I did search through the archives, but was unable to find what I was
looking for. My question is about background processes... If I am logged in
as a normal user and run a background process and then log out, I would
expect that the process would terminate. (I'm about 90% sure on this part.)
However, I was wondering if I ran the process as root, would the activity
continue on even after I log off? More specifically, I wanted to tail a log
file, but wasn't sure what would happen if I logged off the machine. I wanted
to have other people be able view the accumulated results at a later time. I
hope that is specific enough. Hope to hear what people have to say. :)

TIA,
Guy