Favorite programs list (from the meeting)

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:54:19 -0500 (EST)

Last night's meeting topic was "Your favorite Linux application."
These are the programs that were mentioned, who brought them up, and
a little description of what they are (sorry for the broken English,
I didn't take my notes in complete sentences... ;) ):

LaTeX - Ben Pfaff - Document processing language, used for making
things look nice on paper, etc.

VIM - Edward Glowacki - VI text editor clone, has syntax highlighting

PHP - Jeff Goeke-Smith - Programming language, designed for HTML,
lots of libraries (databases, etc.), similar to CGI programs.

PostgreSQL - Mark Szidik - Database, runs stably

Apache - Ben Minshall - Web server, extendable, virtual hosting,
works with PHP/perl, runs more than half the websites in the world

/dev/null - Mark Szidik - Always works!

Hey You - Steve Duane - Interfaces with X-10 home automation
equipment, plus Blue Lava web interface

Fortune - Matt Cloutier - fortune cookies!

PINE - Edward Glowacki - Mail program, stable, good interface

SSH - Jeff Goeke-Smith - Secure replacement for telnet, rsh/rcp/etc.
X11 forwardgin (secure)

ipchains and snort - Alex Nelson - Firewall and connection logging,
auditing, packet logging

EMACS - Ben Pfaff - Text editor and everything else including the kitchen sink

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG President				http://www.gllug.org