rebuilding kernel for the first time

Matthew Hill matthew@liquidweb.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:18:45 -0500

Ben,

Actually the problem is with the version of gcc which is distributed
with Redhat 7.0.  They released version 2.96 with it, which still
has some issues, specifically with glibc 2.1.92 and the version which
is also distributed with Redhat 7.

The best solution, and the solution I took, was to recompile gcc
from gnu.org with their latest stable release, I just went down to
version 2.95.2 and compilation went through without a hitch.

Grab it direct from:  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/

It's rather clear why it's not smart to run redhat dot zero releases
in any sort of a critical environment.  I'd cringe to put one
any of the servers.

Sincerely,

Matthew Hill
CEO, Liquid Web Inc.