rebuilding kernel for the first time

Matthew Hill matthew@liquidweb.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:20:56 -0500

Chip,

Just out of curiosity then, what would you theorize the reason
for my successful compilation of the kernel after the gcc
version change?  This was a controlled environment, and
absolutely nothing was charged aside from the gcc
version.

I seriously used the exact same config, did clean compiles
both times.  Warning messages disappeared.  I had read
on several places that the issue was with gcc.   Complied
with the suggestions, and success was met. The kernel
version I compiled was 2.2.17.

Puzzled, and curious how such a misconception is scattered
well, everywhere on the internet.

GCC even issued a statement to redhat reguarding their
choice to ship with that version:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-announce/2000/msg00003.html

I've retained the other version of gcc under another name,
and put it back into place meeting the same results as previous.
Definitely not changing anything but the gcc version.

Curious more than anything as to what the cause could be if
not gcc.

Sincerely,

Matthew Hill
CEO, Liquid Web Inc.