rebuilding kernel for the first time

Leonard G. Warden IV lgw4@sealdog.org
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 00:17:43 -0500 (EST)

Ben, Matthew, Barb, and everyone else who may be following this thread,

I'm not debating the ethics or business sense of Red Hat including a
non-released version of gcc as the default compiler in Red Hat 7. I
personally wish they'd included 2.95.2. Oh, well -- life's not fair.
However, Red Hat was very aware that 2.96 had problems with Linux kernel
compiles and thus the inclusion of kgcc -- which is actually egcs 1.1.2
IIRC. What I am stating is that the kgcc compiler will compile 2.2.x
kernels perfectly.

WRT Barb's original posting, I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the
kernel in question was Red Hat's patched version of 2.2.16 included with
Red Hat 7. If it is a vanilla version of 2.2.16 or 2.2.17, then some
changes to the definition of the $CC environment variable in the kernel
makefile will be required. However, if it is Red Hat's patched 2.2.16,
then the mods to the makefile are already done. Considering the output on
her web page, I do believe that the Red Hat patched kernel is the one
being used, and that she has kgcc installed.

Barb, I'm still interested in your problem and trying to help you find a
solution. Matthew, I can't recommend that Barb compile and install a
different gcc because of the level of complexity that adds for the user.
It is obvious that this solution works for you, and you have the skills to
manage the complexity of having many different gcc installations on your
system. With the default Red Hat configuration, there are two compilers,
but this complexity is hidden from the user *when using packages provided
by Red Hat*.

As for installing FreeBSD 4.1 -- I'll do that when it supports my Xircom
RealPort 56K/100Mbs "out of the box". (That should offend a few *BSDers!)

So Barb -- any progress?

Chip Warden