sql text field

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:56:22 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

on sql server I got bunch of databases and in tables there are text fields. I
need to find the maximum content in the fields.

  select (len(convert(char(255),LibraryRequests))) from courserequest

gives me the length of each entry up to 255 characters. I could then save the
output in a file and scan each line and get that way the largest entry in
length. Is there any other way to do it?

  select max(len(convert(char(255),LibraryRequests))) from courserequest

won't do it because it automatically goes for the 255 chars.

 -- Marcel