X problems on a laptop

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:08:09 -0400

I have a computer warehouse laptop that I'd like to dual boot linux/win
for diagnostic purposes on our networks.  I have both win95 and redhat
6.2 loaded.  I've gotten everything to work except X.  The machine uses
a Trident video chipset - either a cyber9285 or tgui966x/968x depending
upon which chipset id program I use.  Both are listed as supported by
the svga server.  Windows is using drivers for the 968x chipset and is
working ok.

Most of the setups I've tried with the svga server end up failing to
start.  I did have one combination the started but only with multiple
images of the screen overlapping one another.

I've tried the vga16 and vga mono servers which work in that the display
is readable but everything is blown up to giant size.  The task bar at
the bottom takes up the entire bottom inch of the display.  You can't
get to most menu options because they're off the edge of the screen.
Simply not useable.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get X to work on this laptop?  I
want to run ethereal on it and need X.

Thanks.

--
Mike Rambo