samba record locking

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:47:19 -0400

Mark Szidik wrote:

> These are all crappy work-arounds, but sometimes thats all we get.

You got that right!!!

> Any options in the application software that you can tweak?

Not that I see.  This is a pretty old DOS program, although it _is_ a
network version (supposedly).  There isn't much there to tweak.  The
thing that really bugs me is that it's fine with novell or NT.  What's
up with Samba on this? (frustration showing!)

> How about setting up a separate directory for each client that will use
> it and have each machine map to one of the separate dirs?  That way only
> one machine is accessing each set of files.
>
> Could you install the application files locally on each machine and
> store just the data files on the share?

> Mark Szidik
> System Administrator           Ph: 517.694.4242 x17  Fax: 517.694.9303
> Michigan Library Consortium    http://www.mlc.lib.mi.us

The problem with this is that the program not only has the database of
tests that the students take, it also maintains the list of students AND
authenticates them when they need to take a test.  Of course, it also
keeps the test results for each student.  These results follow the
student from year to year as they go from grade to grade.  This is all
compounded by the fact that students take these tests in more than one
room and from one computer.

I'm sure the app could be loaded locally but it really won't solve
anything as the data records shared from the server then become thebig
holdup anyway (share modes = no demonstrated that pretty well).

This is turning into a major drag!!

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us