X forwarding

Bruce Damkoehler bfdamkoehler@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:16:35 -0400

Mark Szidik wrote:

> At work I forward my X display via OpenSSH to my NT box that runs an X
> server (X Deep/32).  SSH on the NT end is handled by TeraTerm + TTSSH.
>
> I have really good stability running xterms which is 90% of what I use
> it for.  Netscape (believe it or not) is also highly stable.  But
> running Gimp always crashes my x server within a few
> minutes of using it.  StarOffice 5.2 will crash my display every time
> before it is even fully loaded.
>
> My question is, do others on this list run similar setups?  Do you have
> stability problems with certain apps, and why?
>
> At home where I run the X server on the Linux box I have no problems
> with Gimp or StarOffice.
>
> Why would the SSH forwarding of X seem to cause unstability in certain
> apps?

I don't use SSH, but I do forward all of my X traffic to an NT X server
(Exceed). I have been doing so for about 6 years. I have no problems
with ANY apps run this way. I run a mixture of xterms and apps like
Visual SLickedit, Netscape, MKS Source Integrity, Star Office, Sqlwork,
etc. The machines that I execute on include Linux, AIX and QNX.