SWAT

Adam McDougall mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:29:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Alex Morris wrote:

> 2.) While running SWAT, I realized that my X drivers suck.  (I never wanted
> to configure X, but because of SWAT, I decided it would be worth it...)  So
> I tried to install the Mach64 server by doing a "make install" in the proper
> ports directory.  It told me that it couldn't fetch X335<something>.tgz .
> So I downloaded the X335<something>.tgz file, but could not figure out where
> to put it for "make install" to figure out that it's already on the
> computer.  I tried: /usr, /usr/ports, /usr/ports/X11-servers,
> /usr/ports/X11-servers/XttyXF86srv-Mach64, and
> /usr/ports/X11-servers/XttyXF86srv-Mach64/pkg -- every time "make install"
> would say that it couldn't find the .tgz file and then try to fetch it.
> With no 'Net connection on that computer, it couldn't fetch, so it would
> stop running.  Where do I put the .tgz files?

335 is a little old.  Grab
http://www.looksharp.net/~user1/XFree86ports.tgz and rm -r your
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86* and grab
http://www.looksharp.net/~user1/latestportsMk.tgz and make sure those
*.mk files land in your /usr/ports/Mk  (Its a shame you cant just update
online...) and this will upgrade your XFree86 ports to 3.3.6 and 4.0.1.
make fetch in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86 (or look up the port and click on
source at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/) and it will tell
you the files you need to plop into /usr/ports/distfiles/.  I think the
XttyXF86srv-Mach64 thing is one of the TTF related things and not exactly
a full blown X server, but XFree86 or XFree86-4, one of them ought to
work.