dhcp

Benjamin Minshall minshal1@pilot.msu.edu
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:34:56 -0400

Depends on the DHCP server.  A lease on an address is not a gurantee to the
client.  Each time the client comes online, it still must contact the DHCP
server to make sure its lease is still valid.  Chances are, a heavily loaded
system will have a much shorter lease time or will revoke leases if the
client is not online.  Again, it all depends on the policies of the DHCP
administrator.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-user-admin@egr.msu.edu
[mailto:linux-user-admin@egr.msu.edu]On Behalf Of Marcel Kunath
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 3:30 PM
To: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: dhcp

Ok,

I am no pro so I got some questions:

We have a DHCP server which has the ability to give 50 connections at the
same
time via 50 dynamically assigned IP addresses.

Today is day X and I get IP 23 with a lease of 3 years.

What happens when suddenly 50 other people sign on and I am not online? What
happens to my lease?

What happens when some others sign off again and I sign on? Will I get my
old
IP back or a new one for sure or gets my old lease re-instantiated?

What happens if I am online on my lease and 49 others on their lease and a
51st
customer tries to sign on? Will my lease remain the same or will it be
reduced
in length due to the load?

  -- Marcel