holt

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:48:00 -0400

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 04:02:45PM -0400, Marcel Kunath wrote:
> Just got this in the mail. Not sure if this is of interest...
>
> The Lansing Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring a IT forum at the Holt High
> School On September 21, 2000.
> The purpose of this forum is to expose students, parents, educators and
> community members to the array of career opportunities within growing
> industries.  In addition, participants will learn about the region's career
> preparation activities and programs available to them.
>
> Date:  September 21
> Time:  6:30-9:00 pm
> Place: Holt High School
> 1784 N. Aurelius Rd
>

> New members for the GLLUG?

	Possibly.  That program is part of the Voc/Career
	Prep. program at Holt High School.  I went last
	year and it was pretty interesting.  It's mostly
	about networking (the ppl kind) with local IT/TC
	businesses, encouraging internships, partnerships,
	and cultivating interest in the School-To-Work
	program.  BTW, if there are any businesses out
	there that would be interested in taking on a
	student and allowing them the opportunity to
	shadow you or one of your employees in order to
	gain some insight into a career they express
	interest in, contact Dr. Peg Lamb at Holt High
	School at 694-2162.

	Since you mention it, though, Holt High School
	actually has a class that teaches students some
	basic Linux/UNIX usership.  It's actually a C++
	programming course, but the students telnet into
	a Linux box to do their work.  We even had a kid
	last year who insisted on using `vi`. :) The
	thinking behind this is to expose future computer
	science majors to UNIX before they get  to college.
	I can't tell you how many CS/EE freshman I saw at
	Michigan Tech drop out of their respective majors
	because they couldn't figure out how to get started
	writing code, let alone understanding the code
	itsself.  (Of course, we sold this as "One machine
	is cheaper than 30 Borland licenses," which is true.)

	Heck, I'm going to edit the /etc/motd on that box
	and put the GLLUG URL in it.  Maybe some of our
	students will start showing up at meetings. (?)

PaulM

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us