Internet sharing with linux and win98 machines

basher584 basher584@usol.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:59:48 -0400

The easiest way IMHO.

1.  Setup your linux box as a DHCP server.
    setup up a dhcpd.conf
    add dhcpd to the correct runlevel..
    Basically read DHCP howto.. its pretty easy.
   (I am not sure what version of DHCP comes with 6.0.. you may want to
upgrade to 6.2 or just uninstall the version and get the newest one)

2.  Make sure your internal network works.. that the Windows machine gets
the DHCP.

3.  Make sure your network card that is going to be connected to the cable
modem is up.. check the driver with insmod or use RH's netcfg.

4.  Install www.pointman.org's pmfirewall scripts.  It will setup IPMasq
and the firewall for you.  You just need to know what ethernet card is to
what interface.  You will eventually need to learn about IPMasq and
IPChains for the firewall to make adjustments and opening up ports.. but at
least you will be protected while you figure it out..

This is what I did.. it works very well/fast.  My biggest problem was
getting IRQ conflicts solved between my two cheap netcards.

PS.  Sorry this is so scattered.. I'm in a rush..

-Basher584