linux raid questions

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
19 Sep 2000 17:58:50 -0400

Mark Szidik <szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us> writes:

> I am setting up software RAID in Linux for the first time.
> (I am going by the HOWTO for version .90 of the raidtool)

The most likely problem is that your kernel's RAID subsystem
doesn't match the tools that you are using.  There are two major
revisions of RAID in Linux:

	1. The original RAID that is built into kernels 2.0.x and
           2.2.x.

	2. Ingo's RAID 0.9.0, which is in kernel 2.4.x
           prereleases and which is also integrated into some
           vendor kernels.  Alan Cox keeps talking about putting
           these patches into the next 2.2.x release, but so far
           this hasn't happened.

The on-disk representations for these two RAID versions are not
compatible, and neither are the tools used to manipulate them.
Make sure that you're using tools that match your kernel.