.

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
20 Sep 2000 00:01:27 -0400

"Kyle Marcus Anderson" <ander640@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> Recently, I tried to get my computer up on the network running Red Hat 6.2.  I
> followed the documentation on sns.msu.edu and messed around with it for a few
> days with no luck.  I have an at-2500 pci ethernet card and and have a Lancity
> modem running into that.  I already registered using dhcp when I had windows on
> my machine.  However, i was unable to connect to dhcp.msu.edu to obtain an ip
> address...  I messed with it for a long time and got discouraged so I thought I
> would consult the list.  Thank you

You have given us almost no useful info.  Basically you said "it
doesn't work, what's wrong?"  Not a good start.  Try telling us
some things:

1. What do you mean you have an Ethernet card running into a
   modem?  Are you on some sort of cable modem arrangment on
   campus?  (If not, then why are you consulting SNS and using
   dhcp.msu.edu?)

2. Is the driver for the Ethernet card loaded and did it detect
   the card?

3. What kernel version are you using?

4. What DHCP client are you using, and what feedback does it give
   you when it tries to start up?