disk copy

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:50:37 -0400

Paul Melson wrote:

>If only there was... It could solve all sorts of
>problems for us over here.  Anyhow, we also use
>ImageCast both to make bootable CDs for imaging
>machines and to do network deployment of images.
>The problem we've discovered is that, even with
>Cisco Catalyst switches and 100bTX NICs that,
>contrary to the manufacturers claim, we can't
>get any more than 12-14 machines to image at the
>same time.  Have you had any luck with larger
>numbers of machines?  Are there any server prefs
>that must be modified, etc. ?

It's the same for us - only a dozen or so at a time.  Less on 10Meg networks
usually.  We haven't tried the bootable CD option yet.  How does that work
for you?  How is the speed?

It would be nice to find a Linux solution for this for two reasons.  I like
Linux and want to promote it.  It would save the district money (though
sometimes I feel like I'm in a minority on wanting to save money) and it's
easier to promote something that's less known and understood - Linux - when
it both works well _and_ saves money.  Unfortunately, there are times when
even both of those aren't enough.

Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us