disk copy

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 19:14:09 -0400

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 04:50:37PM -0400, Mike Rambo wrote:
> It's the same for us - only a dozen or so at a time.  Less on 10Meg networks
> usually.  We haven't tried the bootable CD option yet.  How does that work
> for you?  How is the speed?

	The major drawback to the bootable CDs is that the
	*.IMC file must be small enough to fit on a CD.
	The speed is nice, though.  On a 32x ATAPI drive
	you can expect 40-50MB/min.  Of course, your box
	must have a BIOS that supports booting from the CD.
	The other nice thing is that you can give them out
	to people and let them do it themselves.

> It would be nice to find a Linux solution for this for two reasons.  I like
> Linux and want to promote it.  It would save the district money (though
> sometimes I feel like I'm in a minority on wanting to save money) and it's
> easier to promote something that's less known and understood - Linux - when
> it both works well _and_ saves money.  Unfortunately, there are times when
> even both of those aren't enough.

	At Holt it would be especially nice.  We'll be putting
	in new Linux Squid/ipchains boxes in the next few
	months here.  There is no user filesystem space on
	these boxes (unless you count Squid's cache), so we
	could store image files on them permanently.  If we
	could also use them to serve the images to machines
	in order to re-image them, that would be extremely
	cool, and a big time (and money) saver.

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us