PDF Creator/Shared Printer

Jason Watson jaywatts@hotmail.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 01:59:29 GMT

I'm trying to create a shared printer for windows (using samba on a linux
box) that instead of actually printing, it creates a .pdf file on a samba
file share.  I'm using ps2pdf since it is much cheaper than 20 licenses of
Acrobat distiller.  Samba is set up correctly, the file shares and actual
printers are accesible and working great.  The problem is getting the
conversion to .pdf.

My printcap for the pdf printer is as follows:

#PDF Printer
pdf:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/pdf:\
	:mx=#0:\
	:lp=/dev/null:\
	:if=/var/spool/lpd/pdf/filter:\
	:sh:

The input filter is a small script that calls ps2pdf and I think this is
where my problems are occuring.

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/ps2pdf $1 /home/samba/pdf_output/$1

I set up the windows clients to use the shared pdf printer using a
postscript printer driver.  When I print a test page the only thing I get is
the file -w132.pdf in /var/spool/lpd/pdf.  The file is empty except for the
standard .pdf headers.  I think the trouble is that the printed file is sent
to the input filter using STDIN but I'm not sure how to send this to the
ps2pdf program.  Any suggestions?

Jason Watson
jaywatts@hotmail.com