GLLUG meeting topics

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 17:01:37 -0400

>It takes awhile to get used to man pages.  I prefer the help menus of
OpenVMS, myself.

Ah, yes.  But nothing is so handy as `man -k`  I am of the opinion that
subsequent online documentation features across most platforms (ie.
Solaris Documentation Server) have failed, at least insofaras people still
overwhelmingly rely on `man` for online help.  Especially since virtually
anyone can write a man page and install it to a system, either as part of
a package or on its own.  It's just one of those things.  Heck, even
non-root users can transparently augment the man pages available to them
simply by adding any path to their $MANPATH shell variable.  Personally, I
don't think I could live without them.  I sure would own a lot more dusty
books, that's for sure.

PaulM