Poll

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:16:39 -0400 (EDT)

Keep the website simple. I know there are a lot of things you _can_ do,
but it doesnt have to be flashy to be good. Some of use tend to view it with
lynx. Some us us with 8-bit graphics, some of us with macs, windows, etc.

I think the organization and layout are the most important, and you can
make it look good without going outside of basic html.

Honestly I would like to see like an FA Q-O-Matic, or even simpler basic
Notes especially pertaining to issues like masquerading, dchp,
dial-up, samba/appletalk/ipx, apache, sendmail/qpopper/cyrus/imapd/etc, X
configuration, bind, etc. Nothing to replace a How-To but quick and easy
stuff, to get people up and running fast and references to information
beyond a basic config like a how-to, more specific information, and more
general information so you also have references to where to go, for more
information. Like it works but I want to know _what_ I am doing, or it
works but not exactly how I want it to ... Hopefully it can include
pitfalls, like make sure to uses tabs in your named.conf file instead of
spaces (i think spaces work now.. but you get the idea.) or make sure you
restart the daemon.

Also, it might be helpful, to have a list of different programs and what
they do, and what people use, and what people _don't_ use. Something like
Nameserver software. Bind (named) - Its is a nameserver software ie
translates names into numbers. Users: Sean - i use it cause I got it to
work right!, Ben - I thought it was too buggy and wrote my own.

Anyway these are just ideas.