Window managers

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
10 Apr 2001 21:53:26 -0400

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:

> Sawfish is the other one I'm looking at.  I actually have it running
> on my second display instead of another copy of IceWM, so I can
> play around with 2 WM's at the same time! =)  Sawfish is configurable
> with LISP, which means it should be capable of just about anything,
> and it doesn't include any of the things a window manager shouldn't
> do (loading wallpaper, etc.).  The GNOME panel works with it, but
> not entirely perfect.

Yow!  I didn't know such things existed.  I'll have to try it
out.

(Next thing you know, Emacs will include a built-in X window
manager, so that there's no need to run any other apps.)

Strangely enough, I've been finding X much more usable on my new
laptop than on my desktop.  I think it has something to do with
the screen itself.  I find it really hard to stare at bright
white windows on a CRT, but not nearly so bad on this TFT.  Maybe
the TFT just looks more like a sheet of paper, with less "glow"
than a CRT.

I'm actually beginning to *like* the idea of a GUI here.
Strange...  Of course, I'm just using it to select between xterms
and Emacs sessions, so don't get too excited, guys :-)

> I'm excited to see what Sawfish can become, but I'm not excited
> about learning LISP and spending huge amounts of time to do it, so
> I suspect Sawfish will take a back seat to IceWM for a while at
> least.

Heh heh.  "Anything + a programming language" is much more fun
(and useful) than the "anything" or "a programming language"
taken by themselves.
--
"Unix... is not so much a product
 as it is a painstakingly compiled oral history