Window managers

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:42:32 -0400

Quoted from Matt Graham on Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 11:13:43PM -0400:
> Sean <picasso@madflower.com> wrote:
> > On 10 Apr 2001, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> >> Strangely enough, I've been finding X much more usable on my new
> >> laptop than on my desktop.  I think it has something to do with
> >> the screen itself.  I find it really hard to stare at bright
> >> white windows on a CRT, but not nearly so bad on this TFT.  Maybe
> >> the TFT just looks more like a sheet of paper, with less "glow"
> >> than a CRT.
>
> This is why konsole and Eterm have the "linux console" color scheme.  Mmm,
> gray (or green!) text on black background.  Seriously, anyone who spends much
> time within xterms may wish to check out konsole; its "virtual terminal within
> a window" approach doesn't do anything screen doesn't do, but is almost as
> addictive as virtual desktops.

I'm glad I finished reading the thread before replying, because I was
about to say, "ACK!  WTF you doing with black-on-white xterms?!?!" ;)

As for Konsole, there's some stuff about it I like, but it has issues like,
"How do I set the terminal type every time I start a Konsole?" so I can get
color in my applications?  (and no, there is no command line argument to
give it a terminal type, nor any preference/setting that I can find, nor
any reference to it on the KDE web site, nor elsewhere that Google can
find given my search terms...)

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org