[Re: Window managers]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
11 Apr 2001 17:42:37 EDT

Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Edward Glowacki wrote:
> > As for Konsole, there's some stuff about it I like, but it has issues
like,
> > "How do I set the terminal type every time I start a Konsole?" so I can
get
> > color in my applications?  (and no, there is no command line argument to
> > give it a terminal type, nor any preference/setting that I can find, nor
> > any reference to it on the KDE web site, nor elsewhere that Google can
> > find given my search terms...)
>
> Is there a variable that only Konsole sets when you run a term under it?
> You could test for that variable in your .login script and then change the
> term type perhaps.

/opt/kde2/share/apps/konsole/*.desktop  :

The su.desktop contains:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=KonsoleApplication
Name=Administrator
Comment=Root Console
Exec=su
Scheme=Linux.schema

SO, if you go to ~/.kde2/share/apps/konsole/ and create, for example, a file
called "funkyterm66.desktop" and have it contain
[Desktop Entry]
Type=KonsoleApplication
Name=Funky Term
Comment=Funky Terminal
Exec=export TERM=funkyterm123
Scheme=Linux.schema

or something similar, then you at least get the ability to choose another
terminal type from konsole's File menu.  If you want to add another option to
konsole so you can choose the term type or the schema or something else from
the command line, then either you or I will have to go and look through the
konsole source.

(There is always a way, it's just not often obvious.  Grrr.)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
There is no Darkness in Eternity