Presentation, April 29th: what do people want?

Harold Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:46:57 -0400

Oh yeah, it runs lots of programs; almost any program for X can be, or has
been, ported to Cygwin/XFree86.

However, I don't run many local clients with Cygwin/XFree86; rather, I
primarily use Cygwin/XFree86 to display clients running on my Linux box, so
I don't have to switch keyboards, or go into the other room to use my Linux
machine.  There are two ways that I know of to do this, one using xhost to
allow another machine to display clients on your X server, and the other
using xdmcp, which allows you to login to an X session on a remote machine.
Of course, you can display X clients from any *nix machine, not just Linux
machines.

I have documented the xhost method at:
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree/docs/howto/using-remote-apps.html

I will be documenting xdmcp soon, but the following should probably get you
started; in startxwin.bat:
start XWin -screen 0 800x600x16 -from %WINDOWS_HOST_NAME% -query
%UNIX_HOST_NAME%

Substitute the appropriate host names in the above statement.

Be sure not to run local clients, as they will not be allowed to connect to
an X server that is running an xdmcp session.

Thanks for your interest in the project,

Harold