Presentation, April 29th: what do people want?

Mark Szidik szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:52:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Matt your outline looks really good.  I made a few comments below.
Thanks again Matt for goind this presentation.  I am looking forward to
it.

As Matt's subject lines says, this presentation is on April 29th.

The next meeting will be May 27th.  DPK, are you willing to do a Perl
presentation on that date?

Mark Szidik
System Administrator           Ph: 517.694.4242 x17  Fax: 517.694.9303
Michigan Library Consortium    http://www.mlc.lib.mi.us

On 16 Apr 2001, Matt Graham wrote:

> I said last meeting that I would do a presentation on "An Introduction to the
> X Window System."  I've gathered a bunch of data from various sources, now my
> problem is condensing it into something that people are interested in.  So,
> what do people want to know about?
>
> * A bit of the history of X

IMHO, nice, but less important than some items below.

> * Configuring XFree86 under Linux

> * What happens when you start X with "startx", and what happens when you start
Important

> X with xdm/kdm/gdm
> * What an X-client is, what an X-server is
>     + how not to get confused
>     + how they communicate (network, MIT-SHM, DRI)
>     + how to run a client on machine1 and have it display on machine2
>     + X's (lack of a really robust) security model
Great intro material.  Important.  I see this + .Xresources as the bulk
of the presentation.

> * How XDMCP works and how to make a machine into a dumb X-terminal

Interesting.  Personally I work with lots of libraries, and some of them
would be interested in using older machines as locked-down public web
browsers.  Libraries spend lots of money and time trying to lock-down
Windows machines, I see this as a very viable alternative.

> * Using .Xresources and/or .Xdefaults to customize the appearance of the
> desktop and/or X programs if you're not running a desktop environment like
> KDE/GNOME

This is important too.

> * Insert your X question/topic here

Are you going to mention tunneling X displays over SSH

Specific question:  How do I get my RH 7.0 home box to use Xfree86
version 4?  I have a supported card, but it still runs X 3.3.6.