compression

Mark Szidik szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:09:01 -0400 (EDT)

Mark Szidik
System Administrator           Ph: 517.694.4242 x17  Fax: 517.694.9303
Michigan Library Consortium    http://www.mlc.lib.mi.us

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Marcel Kunath wrote:

<major snippage>

> better at it as I consider my Computer Science studies pretty much least
> successful of all the things I done at MSU.

> I feel the entire time spent at MSU I learned about Linux, networking,
> TCP/IP and so forth and just did MSU classes on the side because I
> wasn't really interested as I saw no practical need for it. I learned to work
> in a highly burocractic business/info tech environment (MSU-AIS) where CSE
> knowledge wasn't really needed either because it is focused on mainframe and
> web development excluding any C or Java use.
>
> This is not the first time I thought about this but something that evolved over
> the past 3.5 years and I think MSU lacks a Information Technology program for
> people like me. Or some program which combines Computer Science with business
> or law. I don't see the Comm Dept coming close. I know I could have chosen a
> different school.

I went to Saginaw Valley State University.  I was lucky that they have
two computer degree programs - traditional CS and CIS (Computer
Information Systems)  Which is much more pratical and business oriented.
(I hold a degree in CIS and a degree in Accounting).

While the CS students were writing lexical analizers and schedulers in
their classes.  I was (in a group) designing, coding and implementing an
inventory tracking system for an actual local hospital department in
mine.  Believe me that I learned a LOT when our backend database
crashed when we were at the hospital loading inventory records at
1:30 in the morning.  This was extremely good experience for me.  Test,
test and test again.  Then test some more.  I actually was accused by
one of the team members that my data load routine crashed the system
(what a jerk, this too was good experience).
Later I spent about 10 hours of testing and a box of fan-fold paper to
prove that the problem was hardware and not my code.

The main thrust of the degreee was to learn system analysis and design
for building software projects.  Man-machine boundaries, user
interface issues, conversion planning, testing, data flows, requirements
planning, etc.  It turns out it is really applicable to the projects I do now.

CS is a vital program, I just personally think that many of the CS
people really want a CIS degree instead.

-Mark