FTP server (was: RedHat)

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
30 Apr 2001 00:01:54 EDT

James Dooley <james@dooley3d.com> wrote:
> Ya it rocks...
> I guess I found a new problem...
> How do you set up a FTP server on linux...
> When I use Winblows I use sambar...
> I figured that Linux would have one pre-installed...

You need to install one.  RedHat should have several; at least one is
installed if you chose the "Server" installation.  Take a look on the REdHat
CD for wu-ftpd, in.ftpd, or proftpd.  Install one of them using rpm -Uvh or
whatever GUI tool strikes your fancy.  Then edit the inetd.conf file.  RedHat
uses xinetd IIRC, so I forget where the configuration file is...
/etc/xinetd/xinetd.conf ?  There is most likely a line in there that's been
commented out like:

#ftp   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  wu.ftpd -a

So uncomment it by removing the # sign.  Only uncomment one line, the line
that corresponds to the FTP server you installed.  Then "killall -HUP xinetd"
to force xinetd to re-read its config file.  You should be set after that.

Remember that FTP is inherently insecure (usernames and passwords transmitted
in plain text) and every couple of months, the 31337 h4x0r5 find some kind of
funky buffer-overflow exploit in the various FTP daemons that are commonly
used.  Keep up-to-date with RedHat's latest security fixes!

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."