Galeon 0.10.4

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:07:10 -0400

I finally got Galeon 0.10.4 to compile (had to comment a line out
of the source code what was causing an error, possibly due to my
Gnome being out of date?).  Turns out 0.10.5 came out yesterday...
figures... =P Aside from a few small bugs I discovered (i.e. "find"
not remembering your past searches, the "New" button sticking so
that every click opens up a new window, etc.), it's really nice.

For those that don't know about Galeon, here's the blurb from the
web site (http://galeon.sourceforge.net)

"Galeon is a GNOME Web browser based on gecko (the mozilla rendering
engine). It's fast, it has a light interface, and it is fully
standards-compliant."

Basically they've taken the bloat (mail/news, HTML editor, etc.)
out of Mozilla, slimmed it down so that it's just a web browser,
and instead add small features that make sense and help you browse
the web.  For example, it has crash recovery (restore all your
windows to where they were before a crash), Java/Javascript, a
tabbed mode (like Opera), a setting to allow the animation of images
"once through" (great for banner ads, you can see them, but they
don't incessantly move!), easily accessable "block images from this
site" and "block cookies from this site" commands, easily accessable
zoom (change font size), and many more things you probably don't
know that you can't live without... ;)

It's also advancing relatively quickly, and seems to have fairly
frequent updates released (between one and three times per month
there is a new minor release.  .10.5 came out yesterday, 23 days
after .10.4).  Every time I've tried it, I've been amazed at how
far it has come since the last time (though I haven't kept up with
all the incremental releases).

I'd recommend giving it a try if you use GNOME, I think it's finally
advanced to the point where it will be my primary browser (replacing
Mozilla), at least until I find something that it has trouble with...

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Michigan State University