sircam procmail recipe (was: Re: asshole virus emailers)

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:18:25 -0400

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 08:46:27AM -0400, Adam Robert Pitcher wrote:

   I'm not an expert with procmail either.  But I did find a rule on
   LinuxToday that I have applied at a global level and it seems to
   work great.

As mentioned to Ben, this will only block one of the variants.  I have
found applying something like this at the global level confuses too
many users, because if the auto-response fails it is bounced back to
the user to whom the worm was originally sent.  I would circumvent
this by setting the sender to Postmaster, example:

:0 Bh
* ^Hi! How are you?
* ^See you later
| (formail -rtb -I "From: Postmaster <postmaster@egr.msu.edu>" \
    -I "Return-Path: <postmaster@egr.msu.edu>" \
    -I "Precedence: junk" -I "Subject: SirCam Worm Alert"; \
    echo "blah blah blah" | $SENDMAIL -f postmaster@egr.msu.edu -t

Dennis